Search:
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying and Selling on the forum... guidelines?

ndf

Buying and Selling on the forum... guidelines?

OK I'm probably going to make some enemies here, but stuff it... I'm wondering if we perhaps need some sort of guideline for the buying and selling of goods on this forum.

This is all opinion, and since we are a user-driven "community" how about some discussion...

I would like to see the end of sales of goods on this forum for 99% of the seller's idea of the market value. The following are examples of the kind of sales I'd prefer to see:

- Free to good home
    - For the cost of postage
    - Mail pong a photo of the part in use
    - $beer

There are plenty of places you can sell stuff for market value- eg Ebay. If it doesn't sell there for what you are asking- perhaps you are asking too much, and this is NOT the place to be duping people into spending more than they need to. Here is the place to put back into circulation items you no longer need, that someone else might have a use for, and that you do not necessarily want to make any money on. Here is the place we should be helping people to complete their bikes so that they can be ridden.

I may be alone - but let's discuss... no?

CraigC

Re: Buying and Selling on the forum... guidelines?

I support your ideas 100% Nath. Nothing more frustrating than make me an offer, put a fucking price on the item.

Change the ebay thread thingy to say ebay finds and shit that I'm selling, sorta thing (I'll let you interwebs persons work out the fine detail)

What is 'mail pong' (is that mail that smells? ass mail)

ndf

Quote Originally Posted by CraigC
    What is 'mail pong' (is that mail that smells? ass mail)
    hehe no... It's based on the idea that everyone loves to receive personally addressed mail. You put a photo, postcard, or whatever into a prepaid envelope and mail it back to the person who sent you something. Mail Ping... Mail Pong

CraigC

What happened to the 'classifieds' part of the fixed.org site? The adds lasted for a month and then dissappeared. That would stop all the 'off topic' posting (something I NEVER do) that occurrs.

Totally agree with you.

I think the forum loses its value when it starts to become a defacto ebay dumping ground. Like ndf says, if you want to sell your items for MONEY, sell them on ebay. That's the ideal place to do it, and lets face it, you're going get more for your items there anyway.

What makes this forum unique and interesting for me is the discussion, the passion and love of fixed gear bicycles. Not discussions of how much a particular part is worth. I find that boring.

Thanks. Of course all this is within reason. :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetalCHyclist View Post
    I thought it was called touring and you did it on a shitbox Shogun from 1992

I suppose a lot of people advertise here because there's a sense of community/trust knowing your parts will go to a good home.
    It's a nice resource outside of the fluff on ebay.
    I honestly don't see the issue of not adding a price to something... if it doesnt sell you usually lower it or if you make an offer and the seller wants more it wasn't meant to be.
    You can keep the selling of bike bits to one forum.
    Advertising is free here and I've bought some great parts from locals and interstaters using this forum.
    How the fuck did that get in my tyre?!

Quote Originally Posted by ndf
    I would like to see the end of sales of goods on this forum for 99% of the seller's idea of the market value. The following are examples of the kind of sales I'd prefer to see:

- Free to good home
    - For the cost of postage
    - Mail pong a photo of the part in use
    - $beer
    OK. Let's do it.

Des
    No. I do not ride for fashion and I do not care if your bicycle is prettier than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigC
    Nothing more frustrating than make me an offer, put a fucking price on the item.
    I must drive you quite insane then.

The reason I often sell stuff this way is I don't know or don't care what something sells for. So I leave it up to the buyer to tell me what it's worth to them.

Des
    No. I do not ride for fashion and I do not care if your bicycle is prettier than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by powdah
    I suppose a lot of people advertise here because there's a sense of community/trust knowing your parts will go to a good home.
    It's a nice resource outside of the fluff on ebay.
    Agreed.

NJS Certified

Hmm,
    I sort of think that this forum basically allows its users to have first look at a item b4 it goes to ebay, much easier to arrange postage and pickup, people generally negotiate in good faith and at the endo of the day if you dont get want you want for an item fall back to ebay or bicycle recycle or whatever, this has happened to me on a number of occasions, sometimes I have sold items for more than i have advertised here, sometimes less others are at home waitingfor the right project to come along.
    I like it as is.
    sp
    the more you know, the more you know you dont know

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast