Search:
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Bags

Lets talk Bags

I know that this could have been covered before, but fuck it. Lets talk bags.

I am in the market for a backpack as I am outgrowing the crumpler messenger bag that I am currently using.

The bag that I am on the look out for is something that is super functional for commuting, so it will need to carry shoes, jacket, shirt, gstring, etc.
    It needs to be waterproof as I carry the work back up drive to and from home each day.
    I would like a couple of external pockets for easy access to mobile phone / wallet / keys / drink bottle
    A place to clip a rear light onto and a few reflective strips would be good, but it is not necessary
    When not full of stuff, I don't want a bag that still will feel bulky and be a nuisance.
    A bag that doesn't create blind spots when riding

The main thing is as well, is I want it to help me out when travelling around the States later this year.
    So I will be walking in cities a lot, camping + hiking. So it needs to be as comfortable as possible when walking around all day.

I have done a lot of research on particular bags, but I think I am in that state where I have done to much and yet there is still no clear contender and I am just reading the same shit over and over again. The main reason is I haven't been able to try any on and see how it moves around when you have a full load in it. A site that I stumbled upon has helped a lot: Carryology | Exploring better ways to carry bags, wallets & more. with articles such as:

Our Favorite Versatile Backpacks | Carryology
    Head to Head | Bike Oriented Backpacks | Carryology

So I am looking for people to give me some feedback / advice who have done a bit of travelling with their bags that they use day in and day out when commuting as well. As well as what they do and don't like about their bag.

Any help will be welcomed with fairy claps.
    Last edited by EzyLee; 05-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Mission workshop vandal has been serving me well for almost a year now, seems like it ticks all the boxes except for the blind spot thing. I wear my bag pretty high on my back though and it has adjustable straps at the should to adjust how high or low it sits.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchristopher View Post
    Skid nazi.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchristopher View Post
    He is too busy slinging fixies.
    Some photos of some stuff, a blog?

One of the bags I keep coming back to is the Rambler actually. I think the Vandal, from all reports, might be a little too big for what I need it for.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFROG View Post
    you'll just have to make do with the smaller monkey's bumb

Backpacks / The Rambler Roll Top Bag || Mission Workshop

this hits all the points except for water bottle compartment.

i've got the Vandal, which is large enough for a week long holiday (if staying in hotels/on ppls floors) and when positioned high on your backobstructs the view a bit when doing headchecks. it's super comfy whether empty or fully loaded, but after a while makes your back sweat up like a boss. would happily use a Rambler daily if i didn't have panniers, which i got because the Vandal is just too large and annoying for everyday.

also, the front pockets on the MW bags are just large enough to pack your George Costanza wallet into. i can get my wallet and keys into one, then the phone in the other, and thats it.

EDIT:: seems like i/you read your/my mind. ^^

if you want, i can pop over to saintcloud and test the rambler directly against my vandal and report back with how it feels on my back??!
    Last edited by dfunkt; 05-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker
    I rock a bell on my commuter, but only so that I can ding it long and loud when I pull in the driveway of an evening and hear my three year old shout from inside "Daddys home!"
    Quote Originally Posted by scottridesabike
    *you're, who does your spell checking when your on graphic desing jobz
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFROG
    Moral of the story is don't ask questions about IGH gear ratios in a thread with beardo in the title and expect answers that don't involve maths

Brisbane Outdoor Gear | Chunky Toad: Medium Backpack

Might be a little big for your needs, but BOGear are amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by avymtal
    ANUS TART FISTING.
    SALSA PICANTE LMNTM

the rambler does indeed tick all your boxes, but as stated before, doesn't have enough external pockets. it only really has one tiny little pocket that can fit your phone/wallet, the rest has to be engulfed by the huge main pockets.

also if you're a sweaty dude, the mesh back lining isn't really ideal for hot aussie days

Quote Originally Posted by Lemontime View Post
    Brisbane Outdoor Gear | Chunky Toad: Medium Backpack

Might be a little big for your needs, but BOGear are amazing.
    Yup, another on the list... Might have to look into a custom chunky toad.
    Last edited by EzyLee; 09-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Math Rock Moderator JLN not ZLTN's Avatar
    I really like my Chrome Pawn, but same as Generic Hipster, it has blind spots.

I carry a change of clothes for work, plus lunch no problems. I also carried 35 DVD's (in jewel cases) the other day no problem. It's water proof too. In summer I filled it with ice and used it as a backpack esky.

I use it commuting everyday, plus I used it in the US as carryon luggage. It's pretty simple and straight forward, but I like that about it. It's got one main section, one smaller section and two front pockets. Has loops for lights too.

But I always get a sweaty back.
    Last edited by JLN not ZLTN; 05-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Your tyres so fat they got a puncture and gravy came out
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    If you haven't got anything hateful to say, stay outta the hate thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazhutton View Post
    I wish there were more dog patting opportunities on the way to work.
    Velodrone | @velodrone | TRACK SABBATH | Animal Traps

Quote Originally Posted by hellocoulson View Post
    it only really has one tiny little pocket that can fit your phone/wallet, the rest has to be engulfed by the huge main pockets.

also if you're a sweaty dude, the mesh back lining isn't really ideal for hot aussie days
    This is the sticking point with the bag, I drink a crap load of water because I am a sweaty dude. So I am always reaching for the bottle.

Blindspots on these bags seem like a bit of a common problem.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast