Search:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make love not War

NJS Certified

Make love not War

I had an interesting experience this morning.
    Had smashed out 10 or so laps of albert park.
    Was trundling round for one or two more and just going over the speed humps.
    As I did so (on the low part near the kerb) a car came past quite fast no more than a foot from my bars.

Steam out my ears instantly.

'OI'

I followed.

Caught up to the driver.
    At this stage I had calmed down a bit.

When he parked, I pulled in and said
    'Excuse me - you were quite close to me when you past me (indicating how far away from my bars). Now I'm alright with this, but there are a a bunch of people on the roads who aren't that skillful and being that close might scare them pretty badly and cause an accident'

Reply.
    'So I passed you when you were in the middle of the road'

'Well, I was (indicating again) about this far (a foot to a foot and a half) from the kerb'

Reply.
    Oh... sorry.

'Thanks mate, please just keep it in mind when you are passing cyclists.'

I rode away, thinking, that was the correct way to handle that. I could have gone in there all guns blazing, and well, I wanted too and I usually would. I'm not sure why I didn't.

I hope he remembers that next time he goes to pass someone on a bike. Especially if they are wobbling all over the road.

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR

'there's very few cars at 0530.....'

Re: Make love not War

Yes Lats, ultimately the calm measured approach usually produces better results than the angry 'f**king a**hole!!!' response. Sounds like the car driver was somewhat receptive to your comments- often drivers will just tell you to piss off.
    Better cyclist-driver communication is the key!

Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetalCHyclist View Post
    I thought it was called touring and you did it on a shitbox Shogun from 1992

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
    Word.

ndf

i tried that this morning: A car honked as it passed, so I caught up and I asked calmly what that honking was all about, it scared the jebez out of us. The driver then told me off for not holding my line and for riding two abreast.

I tried to explain how it's more dangerous to ride single-file along that stretch because it encourages cars to pass too close, but his stupid fat wife yelled at me and they then drove off :/ It sure sucked being told off by a fat shit for not holding my line... Even though he was right - I was fumbling around and talking instead of concentrating on traffic :/

Oh well.

Hipster

"his stupid fat wife yelled at me and they then drove off :/ It sure sucked being told off by a fat shit for not holding my line... "

Did they have a bucket of chicken with them.......?

ndf

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaaarr...
    bucket of chicken
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!HAHAH !H!! AHAH ..

hahah.

NJS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ndf
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaaarr...
    bucket of chicken
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!HAHAH !H!! AHAH ..

hahah.
    they drove away singing - 'dirty bird dirty bird, I love my dirty bird'
    'there's very few cars at 0530.....'

NJS Certified

a guy i used to work with suggested attaching the ceramic bit of an old spark plug to a length of string that you could whip into car windows for a bit of swift revenge. I'm not one for vigilante action but it does have a certain appeal at time

Hipster

i just like to give those frisky little cars a friendly slap on the arse as i overtake them whilst they are backing up end on end (except for the humvee that girnds its way through brunswick, im afraid those guys will pop a cap in me).

i've passed corrvettes, and ferraris (admitidly all in near gridlock) and i sometimes hope my loteck peice of steel makes them reconsider their driving ways in genral, a few months back i passed john howard in his convoy, to me that felt like winning the tour de france for every australian cyclist.
    spelling, not at all like riding a bike.

ndf

hahah brilliant.

Humvees are not welcome here - they should all be sumpplugged!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast