Search:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: So what does make an SS'er?

  1. #1
    NJS Certified
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    189

    So what does make an SS'er?

    On another cycling forum, someone was PM'ed some abuse with the line
    you do know that calling yourself a single speeder and telling everyone about it does not necessarily make you a single speeder?
    So, my question is - what do you think it is that makes someone a 'single speeder' if riding one doesn't? Yeah there is the whole culture thing, courier thing etc and I get all that but what I am after is what _you_ think makes someone a "single speeder"?

    Just curious on what people think.

    Lisa

  2. #2
    Administrator snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    Quote Originally Posted by lisanne
    On another cycling forum, someone was PM'ed some abuse with the line
    you do know that calling yourself a single speeder and telling everyone about it does not necessarily make you a single speeder?
    So, my question is - what do you think it is that makes someone a 'single speeder' if riding one doesn't? Yeah there is the whole culture thing, courier thing etc and I get all that but what I am after is what _you_ think makes someone a "single speeder"?

    Just curious on what people think.

    Lisa
    Seems like the other crucial element is being a dickhead?
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

  3. #3
    NJS Certified PiledHigher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake
    Quote Originally Posted by lisanne
    On another cycling forum, someone was PM'ed some abuse with the line
    you do know that calling yourself a single speeder and telling everyone about it does not necessarily make you a single speeder?
    So, my question is - what do you think it is that makes someone a 'single speeder' if riding one doesn't? Yeah there is the whole culture thing, courier thing etc and I get all that but what I am after is what _you_ think makes someone a "single speeder"?

    Just curious on what people think.

    Lisa
    Seems like the other crucial element is being a dickhead?
    This a fixed forum, there seem to be a lot of wannabees riding SS want the look without the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    The furries probably think us bike people are a bunch of freaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lokione View Post
    Whatever! Next month I'm gonna ride a uni cycle with a paddle tyre accross Bass Straight with Afgan midget siamese twin strippers on my shoulders to raise awearness for migrant exploitation. Amature...
    Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    That's sig worthy, some one jump on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Slightly confused as to what a town bike was (is it fixed, where can I find one, how much does it cost, how long must I wait for shipping?) I googled "town bike".

    Well I feel silly now

  4. #4
    mj
    Guest

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    I'd have said that the culture of the 'singlespeeder' was more of an MTB thing to be honest. I'm not sure how many were riding SS road machines until it became an offshoot of the fixed fashion, but the MTB 'singlespeeder' conjures the following:

    A person who really couldn't be stuffed spending lots of time maintaining a bike, nor caring what it looks like, yet loves riding and also loves BEER, is somewhat 'unlikely' looking yet is still generally FAST, even without gears. They've more than likely BROKEN their previous bikes and the singlespeed is the only thing that will stay in once piece when they're riding. Perhaps they're a little simple... but they don't really care what others think, because lets face it: it's about riding (and beer).

    (Disclaimer - The author wishes to clarify that he has been a singlespeeder in a past life, has competed in the National Singlespeed MTB Championships of Australia and counts singlespeeders as good friends to this day) :wink:

  5. #5
    NJS Certified PiledHigher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj
    I'd have said that the culture of the 'singlespeeder' was more of an MTB thing to be honest. I'm not sure how many were riding SS road machines until it became an offshoot of the fixed fashion, but the MTB 'singlespeeder' conjures the following:

    A person who really couldn't be stuffed spending lots of time maintaining a bike, nor caring what it looks like, yet loves riding and also loves BEER, is somewhat 'unlikely' looking yet is still generally FAST, even without gears. They've more than likely BROKEN their previous bikes and the singlespeed is the only thing that will stay in once piece when they're riding. Perhaps they're a little simple... but they don't really care what others think, because lets face it: it's about riding (and beer).

    (Disclaimer - The author wishes to clarify that I have been a singlespeeder in a past life, have competed in the National Singlespeed MTB Championships of Australia and count singlespeeders as good friends to this day) :wink:
    True, SS MTb is different motivation to SS road.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    The furries probably think us bike people are a bunch of freaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lokione View Post
    Whatever! Next month I'm gonna ride a uni cycle with a paddle tyre accross Bass Straight with Afgan midget siamese twin strippers on my shoulders to raise awearness for migrant exploitation. Amature...
    Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    That's sig worthy, some one jump on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Slightly confused as to what a town bike was (is it fixed, where can I find one, how much does it cost, how long must I wait for shipping?) I googled "town bike".

    Well I feel silly now

  6. #6
    NJS Certified Sekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    760

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    Is not caring what it looks like really a thing? I've known a lot of SS MTBs to be damn fine looking machines. Uncluttered cockpits, no derailleurs, straight chainline, etc.
    Bottles and Chains - Ride Global. Drink Local.

  7. #7
    NJS Certified
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    422

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    I think this forum needs more beer and monkeys, maybe zombie monkeys, on mini clown bikes, wearing high-heels, or maybe I just need to keep the inner world of me to me?

    No, I'm pretty sure we do need zombie monkeys.

    But in all serious: does it matter what someone is mentally pidgeon-holed as? Sure it's easy to make generalisations about people and cultural groups, but every group breaks down into individuals and every individual is beautiful and unique snowflake, except if you watch Fight Club too much.

    Oh, and re: road SS - Hehehee, nubs.

  8. #8
    Administrator snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguedubb
    No, I'm pretty sure we do need zombie monkeys.
    See this is what I mean.

    But I agree about the zombie monkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

  9. #9
    NJS Certified
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    762

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    it's an odd one. My first single speed was a hard tail MTB frame with rigid forks, v-brakes and and fucked ultegra mech to keep the chain tensioned. I bought it off my housemate at the time because my commuter, a thoroughly hammered giant rincon, was slow and heavy. It didn't take me long to realise that you don't need gears in melbourne and in fact in stop-start traffic gears just become a pain in the arse. Later, the SS became a fully geared MTB. Then I didn't have a commuter. I wanted a fixie for training purposes to help me with hill climbing and suppleness. If it wasn't for that I would have just gone SS.

    I am SO glad I went fixed because I totally love it. It's a completely different style of riding from MTBing or endurance road events. There are certainly a lot of posers about on fixies. there's also the whole old-skool courier thing which to be honest, that I'm not particularly familiar with. To them, I probably come across as a band-wagon jumper, which is probably not entirely untrue I guess. In my mind it's about mentality. I ride fixed or full stop because I love riding. I'm not doing it because it's the cool thing to do. And I am looking forward to the hundreds of cheap fixies up for sale when the hipsters decide that Segways are the new cool thing.

    I think it's possible that these posers are frowned upon because it is assumed that they're not in it for the right reasons or in it for the long haul - they're just doing it for fashion. That and the fact that nobody wants to think that dickheads are into the same things that they are.

  10. #10
    NJS Certified
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    121

    Re: So what does make an SS'er?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromeo
    in my mind it's about mentality. I ride fixed or full stop because I love riding.
    I agree its all in your take.

    Way before the classing and pigeonhole mentality, I had stuffed my derailleur on a ride to school and so became my first ever bike with no gears a "Single Speed".
    That was 18 years ago, and I have been riding one discipline or another since. I would not still be riding or have the same huge smile on my face if I did not enjoy it. And one day I might get back in to the SS too...
    But no matter what, if I am riding a bike who cares what the type or discipline (exception of recumbents),
    Who cares what I call myself,
    As long as I get that silly grin on my face that makes everybody wonder what I have been up to, Its all good!
    By the Power of Greyskull !!?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34