Search:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wholesalers

NJS Certified

Wholesalers

Has anyone here dealt with wholesalers in Australia? I know that in the US they normally want a photo of a physical shop front before they'll sell you stuff in order to protect the retailers already being supplied. Is it the same here? Who have people dealt with and what have they been like?

Cheers,
    T.

Re: Wholesalers

Quote Originally Posted by merzbild
    Has anyone here dealt with wholesalers in Australia? I know that in the US they normally want a photo of a physical shop front before they'll sell you stuff in order to protect the retailers already being supplied. Is it the same here? Who have people dealt with and what have they been like?

Cheers,
    T.

No I haven't. But it wouldn't be hard to take a photo of a shop front.

It begs the question, why do you want to?
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

Like any wholesaler/distributor, you'd need to open an account, give me ABN details, meet their minimum order requirements etc etc. It's not as easy as saying 'yeah I have a [fake] shop, can you give me those Sugino cranks at cost please?'
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    140 stem regardless of eight.

mj

Cheers,
    T.
    You're correct, you can't purchase from product distributors directly. I've had the need to speak to a few directly and the ones that I have spoken to have been happy to give you the info I was after after (I'm talking MTB suspension tech info and other such specific stuff).

NJS Certified

My reason for asking is I don't like paying Melbourne retail prices for stuff like chainring bolts, seatpost bolts, BMX chains, bar tape, etc, etc. I am wondering how feasible it would be to do this wholesale. I don't mind buying a fair number of each, I don't mind registering an ABN or setting up an account, but I don't have a shop front.

mj

I'm pretty sure that you'd never pull it off. It's probably easier to buy online

I don't mind buying a fair number of each, I don't mind registering an ABN or setting up an account, but I don't have a shop front.
    So start a shop. Make it an online store. Whatever.

Or you could just go over and punch Shifterbikes Dan in the stomach and take his wallet?

NJS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by spud
    I don't mind buying a fair number of each, I don't mind registering an ABN or setting up an account, but I don't have a shop front.
    So start a shop. Make it an online store. Whatever.

Or you could just go over and punch Shifterbikes Dan in the stomach and take his wallet?
    OR drop to his knees and smile like a donut

NJS Certified

OK, lots to think about. Thanks to all for advice/encouragement/discouragement etc.

NJS Certified

OK, lots to think about. Thanks to all for advice/encouragement/discouragement etc.
    Something else to think about.......and I assure you I am not 'in the trade'....but I do pay more, in some cases , for 'stuff' from local shops and/or distributors,,,and am willing to do so, because I know that they are there when I have a technical issue...or even jusr advice..when I need them. These blokes have a living to make....and ,in my opinion, it is usually based on a love of cycling and cyclists...not on "the bottom line".
    If you are competent enough to buy exactly the right part ...and know exactly what to do with it...every time, well, more power to you......but a lot of us(I think), spend time in our LBS getting free advice etc, and I'm willing to support that with a few extra dollars on top of my purchases.
    I'm not prone to ranting.....but this is something I feel strongly about....apologies if I have put anybody's nose out of joint..............ITP
    User formerly known as 'In the Pink'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast