Search:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggest me some upgrade bits

Quote Originally Posted by horatio
    Blakey- did this happen to Angry's wheel in one ride??
    In the space of about 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Please tell me you had some 20c coins between the rim and the pliers?!
    I will next time The scratches should buff right out.

The only upgrades my Major One required were the freewheel and the handlebars (to MTB bars). Now participates regularly in local CX races. Mine cost more than yours too! Parts are high end, longevity is good, details will always need tweaking once bike is posted on forum.

- Joel

Thanks Joel, so when you changed to flat bars, were you able to keep the brakes or did you have to change them to something else? I will be upgrading the freewheel soon, the gearing is pretty big for me at the moment and I will pretty much be at spew point on my normal commute if I leave it how it is, and as suggested by you guys... brake pads could be a worthwhile upgrade. Still getting used to the drops so I may take the flat bar route as well. Let me know when there are some local CX races Joel... keen to get amongst it and have some fun.
    Last edited by EzyLee; 08-04-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I reckon the major one is awesome mate.
    So when are you getting yours JP? haha.

Quote Originally Posted by EzyLee View Post
    Thanks Joel, so when you changed to flat bars, were you able to keep the brakes or did you have to change them to something else? I will be upgrading the freewheel soon, the gearing is pretty big for me at the moment and I will pretty much be at spew point on my normal commute if I leave it how it is, and as suggested by you guys... brake pads could be a worthwhile upgrade. Still getting used to the drops so I may take the flat bar route as well. Let me know when there are some local CX races Joel... keen to get amongst it and have some fun.
    Insted of changing to flat bars. Consider these. Salsa Cycles | Components

Angry and a bunch of other forum members ride them. Have a width more comparable to MTB bars but with the versatility of a drop bar shape. Thats what I'd look to upgrade to.

Quote Originally Posted by DICE View Post
    Insted of changing to flat bars. Consider these. Salsa Cycles | Components

Angry and a bunch of other forum members ride them. Have a width more comparable to MTB bars but with the versatility of a drop bar shape. Thats what I'd look to upgrade to.
    I've only ever run midge bars which have worked great for me for 2-3 years now. Tom has run midges and then switched to woodchippers so he may have a different perspective.

I really like woodchippers!

Midges are great, but the size of the drops is way too small for me

Woodchippers
    + better hood position (I did like the midge hood position though!)
    + something like 660mm in drops
    + 2 hand positions in drops
    + wide at the top
    + cool flare

JP
    NJS Certified
    So when are you getting yours JP? haha.
    I wish today, right now!! But in reality I am going to have to make do with ritchey/jackson combo, and I reckon we can go on some great rides anyway! Looking forward to seeing you bash around on that beast. Re: brakes, you can keep the cantis and run old canti brake levers or I reckon some avid levers with speed dial will get you close to the leverage ratio you want (wind the cable cradle all the way in). Joel has avid ultimate levers (though paired to Vs) and it don't get much better than that
    If my rims had dimples, I could ride with the lead pack

There a various circles of riders all getting keen on starting up some regular CX races here in Canberra, all with some very interesting courses in mind!!
    <threadjack continued>
    hopefully they are all talking to one another.

simon @ the vikings club ran a race last year and CORC (?) was talking about springboarding from that into some of their own. i was cc'd on some emails about it.

if anyone knows about more details on CBR races send them to me and ill post them in the dirty deeds blog...
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Commuter View Post
    so you indulge in a few youthful experiments, some things stick, some don't, you figure out a little bit more about who you are and where the line is for you. For me...it's at pad holders.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    Lance using drugs does not have an impact on the amount of wheelies I do when going to the shops.
    Dirty Deeds

They are different circles so they aren't talking to each other. I pointed them in the direction of the vikings club one that they held at the Velodrome. I know CORC ran one a while ago at Stromlo Forest Park as well. I have been talking to Andy Blair (one of Oz's top XC dudes) and he is keen to hit up some CX with his mates. I will be doing a bit of a reco with him for a spot we have in mind in a few weeks. Hopefully we can make something of it.

If anyone is reading this and knows how to put on an event... please let me know! haha. I have no idea where to begin. I might get in touch with the Vikings as it is within the area of their main rugby club.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast