Search:
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What BB for SS CX?

JP
    NJS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by dfunkt View Post
    I cant help but think you could do a little better in the mud than this.
    If my rims had dimples, I could ride with the lead pack

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Also, I see your chain question, I say SRAM PC890, all the way. 3/32 is the way to go.
    I've had 2 SRAM 9 speed chains break on me this year. Would not recommend. Also they're ramped which is less than ideal for SS. And lastly the SRAM 'powerlink' is a pain in the arse to install. The KMC 'missing link' are 100x better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    3/32", not 1/8".

But Izumi do one of those too

Or any 7/8sp chain / singlespeed specific chain. Use a quick link, clean it often, minimise wear.
    Another vote for the Nickel-plated Izumi 1/2 x 3/32. Much better than the KMC Kool chain for instance (smoother and lighter).
    Another one that might be good would be a Wippermann Connex.

Out of fucking control
    A mate on a 'round the world' trip on a rolhoff equipped bike is using a Wipperman 808, must last pretty good.

Connex 808, 320kms so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

Agreed Wipperman Connex chains are the shizzle. Also their missing link are as good, if not better than KMC. Seems to be some confusion over whether you can reuse some of the SRAM missing links- I think most they sell you can (but perhaps their cheap chains have the use-once connector?).
    Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetalCHyclist View Post
    I thought it was called touring and you did it on a shitbox Shogun from 1992

JP
    NJS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post
    Agreed Wipperman Connex chains are the shizzle. Also their missing link are as good, if not better than KMC. Seems to be some confusion over whether you can reuse some of the SRAM missing links- I think most they sell you can (but perhaps their cheap chains have the use-once connector?).
    Yeah, i'm not sure about 10sp ones. I have broken and connected my PC890s by hand more than 10 times each with the supplied link. The connex is easier, but I find the SRAM good. My wife is much better than me at disconnecting them, so I give her the job and we are all of a sudden having "together time" working on my bike.

The rohloff site has a great pic of their chain making machine. Anyone got the rohloff revolver 3 chain breaker? New object of desire for me. I used to have the autolube bullet thing that you could activate mid ride for a bit of chain lube on the go. I always wanted to turn it into a pen.
    If my rims had dimples, I could ride with the lead pack

NJS Certified
    Sweet. So thanks largely to Sime, I am now contemplating a 2011 specialized crux. If this is what I end up buying and I want to run it ss, what do people suggest re: chain, bb, cranks, rear hub?
    So far I am looking at an eccentric bb with a 120mm rear hub spaced correctly (is this even possible?) or a standard bb with a WI eno eccentric hub.
    I'm also thinking of putting force cranks on it, is this doable? Sorry for the newb questions, it's all Sime's fault for the frame suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    So far I am looking at an eccentric bb with a 120mm rear hub spaced correctly (is this even possible?) or a standard bb with a WI eno eccentric hub.
    I'm also thinking of putting force cranks on it, is this doable? Sorry for the newb questions, it's all Sime's fault for the frame suggestion
    No 120mm wheels. The Crux is 130mm or 135mm for the disc version.

EBB > Eccentric wheel IMO.

Beer Comp BB30 EBB: Eccentric for BB30 BEER Components
    Problem Solvers BB/PF30 EBB: Problem Solvers

You'll have to ask Sime to confirm the BB in the 2011 Crux, the frameset appears to be 68mm threaded, the various completes have BB30 or threaded.

Force cranks have a different spindle diameter to Shimano/FSA, there might be a shim, but I'm not 100% on that.
    SRAM's bottom brackets, while interchangeable between all SRAM and Truvativ cranksets, are brand specific -- meaning, they can only be installed with SRAM cranks. The key element that makes them different from a Shimano or FSA bottom bracket is that the left side bearing has a smaller diameter to mate with the stepped spindle of the SRAM crank. This design allows the inner race of the left side bearing to be captured between the crankarm and the spindle, effectively locating the crank. The right side bearing "floats" on the spindle handling only radial loads as you pedal. The SRAM design optimizes bearing load, minimizes drag, and gives you durability.

For BB30 & Eccentric, snag some 105/Ultegra compact ext BB cranks on ebay for cheap and you're laughing. Or perhaps some FSA carbon cranks.
    For 68mm & Eccentric, get the eccentric axle hub, as Forward Components 68mm EBB are dead and the other options (Phil etc) are just too $$$. Evan @Cyclic might have a local solution, but not yet. Then get whatever cranks... turn your crank.

Chainline wise, I ran a WI wheel & freewheel with 105 cranks, ring on the inner and a bashguard on the outer, plus 2 thin spacers between the DS cup and BB shell. Perfect chainline.

FOA - upselling peoples bike purchasing decisions since 2006!
    Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetal View Post
    In other words, don't waste a nice single malt on someone who likes extra ice in their scotch and coke.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    Lance using drugs does not have an impact on the amount of wheelies I do when going to the shops.
    Dirty Deeds

So Trigger still keen on the Crux?
    Gotta say that if you're running it SS you could even look at steel frames w full carbon fork and that bike would still be light as a feather. The crux seems like a poor option if you're planning a dedicated SSCXer - 130mm spacing/vertical dropouts . Maybe a Salsa CCC would be more up to the task with its replaceable ' swop-outs or a Traitor Crusader; or a Spot Brand Mod (if you're really feeling loaded... which it seems you are).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast