Search:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelsets

NJS Certified

Re: Wheelsets

What about these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/wheelandsprocket

Is any of their gear any good? It says they ship to Oz but again all their hubs seem to be 120mm. How much of an issue is this? - it is possible to maybe bend an old steel frame in a bit to fit?

Otherwise would it be worth buying the wheels as-is and replacing the axles at an LBS in melbourne? If so how much would i be looking at for an axle replacement job?

Cheers,
    Max

mj

Quote Originally Posted by max_p
    What about these guys:

Is any of their gear any good? It says they ship to Oz but again all their hubs seem to be 120mm. How much of an issue is this? - it is possible to maybe bend an old steel frame in a bit to fit?

Otherwise would it be worth buying the wheels as-is and replacing the axles at an LBS in melbourne? If so how much would i be looking at for an axle replacement job?

Cheers,
    Max
    OK - Wheels and Sprocket stopped shipping to OZ for a while, but now they're back - however I'd email them to make sure that the ebay shipping quoting system is providing the correct information.

My GF has one of their wheelsets and it's been rolling for 6 months or so now, relatively trouble-free. One hub seems to be a bit loose, but does not affect the functionality. I think it might have copped a hit in transit, but that's the gamble you take with shipping a wheelset from the US. Any gear is as good as the components that make it up - the W&S cheap fixed-wheelsets are no-frills gear, but will work fine.

Standard rear hub spacing is 120mm. You won't find a new hub that is otherwise, at least not a cheap and cheerful modern hub.

You can cold-form (read: bend) a steel frame without too much drama, depending on the frame and the amount of bending involved... My frame was 110mm originally and it was re-spaced to 120mm OK.

Quote Originally Posted by mj
    Quote Originally Posted by max_p
    What about these guys:

Cheers,
    Max
    OK - Wheels and Sprocket stopped shipping to OZ for a while, but now they're back - however I'd email them to make sure that the ebay shipping quoting system is providing the correct information.

My GF has one of their wheelsets and it's been rolling for 6 months or so now, relatively trouble-free. One hub seems to be a bit loose, but does not affect the functionality. I think it might have copped a hit in transit, but that's the gamble you take with shipping a wheelset from the US. Any gear is as good as the components that make it up - the W&S cheap fixed-wheelsets are no-frills gear, but will work fine.

Standard rear hub spacing is 120mm. You won't find a new hub that is otherwise, at least not a cheap and cheerful modern hub.

You can cold-form (read: bend) a steel frame without too much drama, depending on the frame and the amount of bending involved... My frame was 110mm originally and it was re-spaced to 120mm OK.
    Just to clarify:

Front 100mm
    Standard track 120mm
    7 speed road 126mm
    8/9/10 spd road 130mm
    MTB 135 mm
    Downhill 150mm

You'll find that most track/fixed hubs come with appropriate spacers to be put together as 120/130mm, there are also some options in 135mm for fixed/singlespeed. Have a look at sheldon's site for a range of stuff from cheap but good all the way up to Phil Wood (expensive and really good).
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    The furries probably think us bike people are a bunch of freaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lokione View Post
    Whatever! Next month I'm gonna ride a uni cycle with a paddle tyre accross Bass Straight with Afgan midget siamese twin strippers on my shoulders to raise awearness for migrant exploitation. Amature...
    Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    That's sig worthy, some one jump on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Slightly confused as to what a town bike was (is it fixed, where can I find one, how much does it cost, how long must I wait for shipping?) I googled "town bike".

Well I feel silly now

I got my Velocity's on sale here. They're back up to $365 at the moment.

http://bikepro.com.au/ProductDetails...TY-TRACK-WHEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I was warned about all you assholes
    Quote Originally Posted by shifterbikes
    This forum never ceases to amaze me...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12