Search:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable Routing

People say and think that but it's not true and anyone can easily adapt.

The reason why left front became the standard (as sidepull brakes gained popularity in Europe) was because most riders are right handed and having the less powerful left hand control the more powerful front brake made for a better brake balance (or bias). Over the years brakes have become lighter in feel and levers better designed to actuate with less input to where it's not an issue any more.

It really doesn't matter which way you set up your front brakes but this old wog won't hesitate in tsk tsk'ing you for using a right front strictly from a style perspective. I also think it's safer in Oz to have a left front as most of our right turns require you to either signal and/or cut accross traffic and I'm much more comfortable knowing my left hand/front brake is at the ready.

I'll also add that whingers who want to replicate what's on their motor bikes can get stuffed. Bicycles came first.
    Quote Originally Posted by oratio View Post
    But seriously gimme my name back

I only ride brakeless fixies so this debate is largely academic.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    this comment has elevated you to a 'level 6 warrior' ranking in my opinion
    i'd like to Fuck you Mckenny.

i had to scrap, and start again with my muscle memory when swicthing from wii to ps3 for call of duty.

i've learned from the pwning, i'm not gonna do the same on my bike.
    Last edited by mckenny; 15-03-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IncompleteStreets View Post
    .Blakey is my BF.

Popcorn thread.

Right front, left rear. Maybe on a show bike I'd do it differently, but I value my flesh too much to mix it up on a bike I ride a lot. Just shorten the cable runs and you wont be left with ugly loops of cable from bars to front caliper.

owing to my rampant obsession with 'cross i run left/front, right/rear as this makes dismounts massively smoother (you can control braking while mid-dismount without endo-ing or having to 'bart wellens' dismount).

plus thats what the PROs do.

irrespective - i'm co-ordinationally challenged enough normally that im not switching as the resultant crashes will not be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Commuter View Post
    so you indulge in a few youthful experiments, some things stick, some don't, you figure out a little bit more about who you are and where the line is for you. For me...it's at pad holders.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    Lance using drugs does not have an impact on the amount of wheelies I do when going to the shops.
    Dirty Deeds

n8
    As Spirito said, you can easily adapt - I've changed them up fairly frequently on a range of different bikes depending on which way gave me the best cable routing... and it's never fouled with my motorbike riding (just like when I get back on my treadly, I don't try and change gears with my fuking foot)
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    n8 will be doing it on a big black weapon that looks like it is designed to sodomize elderly overweight weekend warriors.
    Die, v.: To stop sinning suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by spirito View Post
    People say and think that but it's not true and anyone can easily adapt.
    Yeah, just ride with your arms crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by EzyLee View Post
    Plus you don't want me to bring a tent. I will have to start a new thread about what tent to bring - no one wants that.

I call BS spirito- I mean you're recommending changing a fundamental part of bike control, because of some obscure Euro aesthetic. No thanks, I'd rather not crash.
    There is no point in changing if you are happy with front/right.

I remember an interview with Renshaw, and he was saying he is one of the few in the peleton without "euro braking"

Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post
    I call BS
    If the euros do it, it must be correct. More likely, they use the left hand on the front brake to strengthen their left hand so that when paying homage to themsleves, they can spread the load (yes) of of doing so over 2 hands.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast