Search:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .AU road rules : rear brake?

ndf

.AU road rules : rear brake?

Most Australian states have in the road rules a section about bicycle fitness, and they usually mention that a bicycle must be fitted with at least a rear brake.

Anyhow - Does a fixed rear constitute a brake? Has anyone ever been pulled up by the "law" on a fixie (not counting for failing to give way ;)? I seriously doubt it matters here in the brown coast; road rules don't seem to apply to cyclists, but that's a matter for another day...

What are your thoughts on the rear brake requirement and fixed bicycles here in .AU, assuming you wanted to be doing the right thing by the road rules?

Re: .AU road rules : rear brake?

Quote Originally Posted by ndf
    Most Australian states have in the road rules a section about bicycle fitness, and they usually mention that a bicycle must be fitted with at least a rear brake.

Anyhow - Does a fixed rear constitute a brake? Has anyone ever been pulled up by the "law" on a fixie (not counting for failing to give way ? I seriously doubt it matters here in the brown coast; road rules don't seem to apply to cyclists, but that's a matter for another day...

What are your thoughts on the rear brake requirement and fixed bicycles here in .AU, assuming you wanted to be doing the right thing by the road rules?
    Some say 'at least one working brake'.

Riding fixed brakeless is probably illegal, but who cares? I can't see a cop fining you for riding brakeless, unless they're already busting you for something else. But even then I doubt it.

The only interaction I've had with cops while riding was chatting to some bike cops (who told me that they just happened to get rostered onto bike duty and one of them wasn't a regular rider)

I've always wondered how it would feel being chased by bike cops...and getting away
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

I've always wondered how it would feel being chased by bike cops...and getting away
    853 are you having a BMX bandits moment?

my girlfriend was fined $220 for running a red light on her bike. a guy i met the other day got done for not having a warning device (bell) - $52, and a workmate was done for skitching on a tram. technically all worthy fines (except the bell) i guess.

i was chased on my Haro as a kid by a 4x4 policemen for not wearing a helmet. the stupid thing was, i got to a footbridge and stopped; because i was afraid that if i was found afterwards i'd be in really big trouble. the cop fined me $20 and said if i did it again he 'see me in court'. a wimpy bmx bandits moment to say the least.

in the US you have to be able to skid at least one of the wheels on a flat dry surface, which i should hope all the brakeless fixers can do. im sure there are more technicalities than that, but thats what ive heard...

n.

NJS Certified

Never had a problem with the few cops I've spoke to whilst on a brakeless bike. I'm not sure what the reqs are for brakes, but a signal device (bell, horn), front reflector and rear are all required on a legal bike (along with lights at night, 'night' being defined by the cop in question).

Still, it isn't something I'd bring up with a cop especially if I'd been stopped for anything other than a "Hello" (yes, I've been stopped for that).

Muppet

Qld requires the bike to have "at least 1 effective brake" (reg. 258 Transport Operations (Road Use Management?Road
    Rules) Regulation 1999
    ). Brake is not defined in the regs. or the Act.

If you are riding without lever operated brakes, there might be an argument that the function not the form of the brake is paramount to this section and that the fixed cog can provide the braking function required by the section.

I wouldn't pursue the argument too far with a police officer, who don't always seem to appreciate the subtleties of the laws they are charged to enforce. Who knows if the Court would take the time to listen.

If you had a front brake you should be sweet, providing it is effective.

It is also an offence to ride a bicycle that does not have a bell, horn or similar warning device in working order. I know some blokes that think this is satisfied by keeping a bell in the tool bag under the seat. I definitely wouldn't want to pull it out of my bag and give it a ting in front of an officer to escape a fine under that section though.

NJS Certified

brakes

Just think what might happen if a pedestrian steps out and you collect him, the cops come, see you don't have brakes on your bike!!!

Who's up shit creek? Who are they going to see is in the wrong?

hmmmmmmm

But hey, the pedestrian should look right then left, not left then right.

One of my mates was out playing skittles with pedestrians on Swanston street the other night!!! Silly bugger.
    'there's very few cars at 0530.....'

ndf

hahah skittles! I'm getting a bell :)

[quote="853"]
    Quote Originally Posted by ndf
    Don't run/ride away from the police.

Besides being against the law, while you're chances of getting away are high, it will come back on the local messenger community who have to endure a month minimum of zero tolerance on the street.

The cycling police are the most understanding of two wheeled road users. Help them out. Say hello.

As a cyclist, you also have a 'duty of care' to other road users. Consider that should you be injured on your bike, or in an accident. You'd use the same leverage against an unregistered/unroadworthy vehicle you were involved with.

It will also give the police ammunition to examine the issue of bikes 'sans' brakes on the street. It wasn't a big deal a few years ago, but now with more and more interest in the riding 'style', it has larger implications on the community aka your biking friends. Its happened in every other big city in the world - its only a matter of time for Melbourne and other Australian cities.

Be good. If you can't, be good at it.
    Velo juggernaut.

aw, you're not such a ₪₪₪₪.

- Joel

Quote Originally Posted by 853
    Quote Originally Posted by track₪₪₪₪
    Don't run/ride away from the police.
    Don't take that the wrong way. If push came to shove I'd be the first one to cave. I've seen bike cops pulling cars over in the city quite a few times and I've chatted to a few on the road. I'm a supporter of bike cops.

Not that it really matters because I'm not much of a law breaker anyway.

But I was surprised the last time I talked to them when they said they weren't regular riders - they just happened to be rostered onto the bike squad. I would've thought you'd want motivated, experienced riders to make the most of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast