Search:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooks saddle protection?

bob

Brooks saddle protection?

I bought my girlfriend one for Christmas.
    It says in the "caring for your saddle" section says " brooks proofide is the only substance that should be used to care for your saddle"
    This sounds like a great way to sell more of their products, but what should I be using?

Should I get the brooks product?
    If not, what is a good substitute?
    Any experiences?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    This sounds like a great way to sell more of their products, but what should I be using?
    Brooks proofhide. A $20 tub will last you $10 years if you only have one saddle.

Keep it covered if it's raining. Don't over-tighten the tension bolt. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by oratio View Post
    But seriously gimme my name back

Just to throw in an alternative: I use RM Williams saddle soap. I bought an old brooks saddle of the cranky old cvnt at universe cycles and he recommended the saddle soap. Saddle came up a treat, keeps the leather nicely conditioned etc. Since used it on 2 new saddles with great results.

But yeh, the proofide stuff is meant to be where it's at.

I bought a tin of Proofide when I bought my saddle, but to be honest I think it is just rebranded Nikwax Waterproofing Wax. They smell the same, have the same consistancy and go on the same. Same thing, just the nikwax is cheaper. You can get it from an outdoors store.

Also, very important: If you don't have one already, get a brooks rain cover. If it looks like it gonna rain put it on. After riding mine in a Melbourne rainstorm without it the leather on the front end got a bit stuffed and will never be like it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by DICE View Post
    Also, very important: If you don't have one already, get a brooks rain cover.
    They're not waterproof IIRC. Plastic bag stowed under the seat works for me.

^ the old ones weren't. The new ones are. Mine is - has handled Melbourne dourpours admirably.

bob
    Thanks for the help.

They really don't like being left out in the rain, riding them in showers is fine but leaving it unattended and getting rained on ain't pretty..another recommendation I've heard is to throw out the tensioning spanner...proofide is great but i agree with HM, any quality leather conditioner would do the trick
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalCyclist View Post
    People that identify primarily as cyclists are quite often assholes.

Dissenting opinion.
    My oldest brooks is ten to fifeteen years old and has never been covered ,moddycoddle or treated with any respect. When I wash the bike I hose the grunge off the underside of the saddle and leave it in the direct sun to dry. When the top is looking daggy and cracking I apply olive oil and beeswax mix that I use for hand cream . My friend found an old Brooks's in a bush rubbish tip as dry as sheet metal . He soaked it for two weeks in a bag of linseed oil and is still riding on it. That said proof hide is a good product.

Leather saddles were a commercial product for so long because they were tough and indestructible and can put up with unlimited
    abuse. So stop worrying and just apply whatever product is near at hand to treat the leather as it needs
    - hic finis chartaeque; viaeque -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast