Search:
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit me with some (specific) frames

Hit me with some (specific) frames

So... I'm looking for a CX/commuter and I have a long list I want to fulfil. I need a big frame - about 60cm in the top tube and up to 65cm in the seat tube. The issue is, most OTS frames are made for midgets. I was thinking the easiest way to get everything I want would be to go custum, but then that aint cheap, and I thought the .org would have some good suggestions.

Here's the list:

• SS Belt drive (potential to run geared is a plus)
    • I live about 50m from the ocean so it needs to be corrosion resistant. Steel is not going to cut it. I'd prefer stainless steel or Ti to carbon, but my concerns about the long term durability of carbon are unfounded.
    • Disc brakes
    • Full guards
    • Up to 38c tyres (should I consider more?)
    • Threadless headset, 1 1/8

Obviously I can't get a custom carbon build... but what of stainless vs titanium? I've never ridden either and would be keen to know any opinions on the matter. I've read that Ti beats stainless in weight and durability, so why is anyone getting stainless?

1. I was thinking of using paragon rocker drop outs like this (I really don't like eccentric BBs):

2. Or what about set up as below (Traitor Cycles Ruben) with a eccentric hub, e.g. white industries Eno, I expect there is enough movement in the caliper mount to work with an Eno?

3. Then, you could always do this:

Last edited by SanEsteban; 19-12-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Out of fucking control The JAMS's Avatar
    jeebus, that's a pretty custom list you got there. i can't help too much, but the Specialized Tricross SS ticks a few of your boxes for an OTR bike (and maybe, just maybe, big enough...)
    oh. i was thinking like Smorgys only 100 times bigger.
    dildos that actually look like wangs are kinda expensive
    You're all hopped up on goofballs
    I'm sure there are forums dedicated to the world's shittest youtube vids. Fortunately, this is not one of them.
    that's kinda like sleeping with your best friend's wife, then asking him to wipe your dick afterwards
    you revived a 4 month old thread to say you love ball sacks?
    So how do I machine a sidewall? Do I use a hammer and a chisel, or do I pour acid all over my rims?
    Self delusion and garlic bread.
    Giving people grief is all I have left. Why would you take that away?
    I tried to make champagne with a Soda Stream once. Ended up painting the ceiling with goon and blinding 3 of my friends.
    The hate's so chunky you could carve it...
    I heard he burns children in his forge and puts the soul of a child into each frame
    Son, you gotta feed the horse before you leave the club
    This should feel like my gooch is being suspended on the feathers of archangels...
    apart from the above, i'm pretty much a piece of shit.
    I was warned about all you assholes

Brakefree/Kumo opening FOA special?

Steel & framesaver & drain holes & a rebuild and internal peek every now and then to respray will survive coastal use.

WI make an ENO disc mount. Forward Components make an eccentric BB that works with Shimano / FSA ext BB cranks on a regular BB shell. Symes Cycles & Gellie Custom are working on a pivoting disc/rolhoff/etc dropout currently too.

Lynskey titanium? Pretty damn sweet, although your size requirements are... extreme
    Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetalCHyclist View Post
    I thought it was called touring and you did it on a shitbox Shogun from 1992

HLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    Brakefree/Kumo opening FOA special?
    only solution I can see.

For all those requirements, I can't see an off-the-shelf being cheaper than a custom in this case.

Or even custom colossi as well if the budget doesnt stretch to Kumo.

I think Bill from Progetto has built a couple of CX carbon Frames... He's in NSW

Progetto Cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by dubrat View Post
    Were you wearing a spermhelmet on Old Cleveland Rd Scott...
    Quote Originally Posted by scottridesabike View Post
    You fucking know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys View Post
    I Will bring my aero helmet (its just my normal helmet tilted a little lower on my forehead.)

Quote Originally Posted by The JAMS View Post
    jeebus, that's a pretty custom list you got there. i can't help too much, but the Specialized Tricross SS ticks a few of your boxes for an OTR bike (and maybe, just maybe, big enough...)
    Yeah the Crux frameset with an ENO hub + ENO ISO mount is an option, but for the belt drive and not sure how is goes with guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    Steel & framesaver & drain holes & a rebuild and internal peek every now and then to respray will survive coastal use.

WI make an ENO disc mount. Forward Components make an eccentric BB that works with Shimano / FSA ext BB cranks on a regular BB shell. Symes Cycles & Gellie Custom are working on a pivoting disc/rolhoff/etc dropout currently too.
    1. You would think so, but the maintenance that is required is more onerous than I am interested in - and there are parts of the frame you can't get too sufficiently.

2. Was aware of the WI part, I just don't really like it. It is a good solution though. The eccentric BB is interesting, though I've never heard glowing feedback on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by HLC View Post
    Or even custom colossi as well if the budget doesnt stretch to Kumo.
    I think Colossi is a likely solution.
    Last edited by SanEsteban; 19-12-2011 at 04:14 PM.

I realise that a single frame having all the features on my list is not likely, but I'm open to seeing frames that have some features. Like:

Quote Originally Posted by SanEsteban View Post
    The eccentric BB is interesting, though I've never heard glowing feedback on the system.
    Here's some. It does exactly what it claims to. It's well made and is easy to setup and adjust once you know how.

But only if you had a frame you wanted to use. If you're starting from scratch I'd look at other options first.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000
    That's not the BCC club prez or a colnago. That's Greg B on a shitter in gumboots.

All the belt drive frames I've seen have separating rear stays so you can replace the belt.
    Which makes OTF, which is not already belt drive, non-existent.
    Am I missing something?

And the TriCross SS is really heavy. Mate has one here and I was less than impressed by the weight. Plus I'm pretty sure it's track spacing so you couldn't run a decent internally geared hub.
    Last edited by larfinboy; 19-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spirito View Post
    Jaffologist™
    Quote Originally Posted by munga View Post
    ribble is a backdoor dealer
    "Hey apple"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast