Search:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit me with some (specific) frames

Quote Originally Posted by etomato View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why not a frame with old style forward-facing dropouts
    It's about the position of the hub and brake caliper. If you use horizontal road drop outs, you can tension the chain no problem, but the caliper might not interface with the disc properly.

Quote Originally Posted by etomato View Post
    Other silly question: why do you want belt drive? Does the frame then need to come apart somewhere?
    For their marketed benefits... ease of maintenance, weight, durability, etc. To try something new. This is probably the feature I would drop first, just because i don't know much about belt drive performance. If anyone haas seen a robust review, please drop it in here.

Quote Originally Posted by larfinboy View Post
    This is what I'm talking about - seat stays and chain stays not welded together.
    So is belt drive on or off the requirements list?

One of the guys at the LBS is building a single speed belt drive MTB cruiser. Crazy looking machine.
    Will try and get some deets for you.
    And this - Spot Rocker Ti....
    I'm aware of the rear triangle split requirement for belt drives... All OTS belt drive bikes have a split. It's not just so the belt can be replaced, it's also so the belt can be installed in the first place.

It's on the list of wants... But it's not a requirement. Disc and Single speed are requirements.

I've checked out the spot rocker, thanks. The rear dropout set up is pretty cool. Very interested to see bikes like that even if MTB as, if i go the custom route, there are features I can copy. So, bring on SS + disc MTBs... No eccentric BBs!
    Last edited by SanEsteban; 20-12-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrakeFree View Post
    Using the paragon slider dropouts which are easier to set up with discs from what the other builders have been telling me
    Good to know. I heard that the sliding dropouts acn slip and that the rockers are better at holding still.

PM sent.

NJS Certified
    Custom build with these?

You'd need to drop the belt drive, but gain the option of converting to geared at some point.

Also, the rear disc caliper is on the outside, which is one thing i would like on my pompetamine. The inside position is just annoying to properly align the caliper when the wheel is towards the back of the dropouts.

Have you seen the monstercross thread on mtbr.com? Loads of similar setups there.
    Monstercross thread

Tyres and clearances? My pompetamine takes 35 plus fenders, or 42 without. More clearance than that would be pretty cool, but not sure how it works out with frame geometry? Your bike is going to be massive anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmer View Post
    Custom build with these?

You'd need to drop the belt drive, but gain the option of converting to geared at some point.

Also, the rear disc caliper is on the outside, which is one thing i would like on my pompetamine. The inside position is just annoying to properly align the caliper when the wheel is towards the back of the dropouts.

Have you seen the monstercross thread on mtbr.com? Loads of similar setups there.
    Monstercross thread

Tyres and clearances? My pompetamine takes 35 plus fenders, or 42 without. More clearance than that would be pretty cool, but not sure how it works out with frame geometry? Your bike is going to be massive anyway :P
    The paragon rockers in the OP have a derailleur hanger option. And all paragon drop outs (the pair you posted as well) can be used with a belt drive by using their 'chain stay kit'.

I was favouring the rockers because the caliper was on the inside because it looks cleaner... I hadn't thought about adjustment issues - but again, the rockers don't have that problem. Pompetamine looks like a good cheap option though, sans belt.

Will check out the monster cross thread now.

Not sure on detail but you could consider steel with an inside and outside ED coating for rust-proofing? Not sure where to get it done but I know All City (and others) claim it's the shiz and coat their frames inside and out. Might limit paint options, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyGlover View Post
    Not sure on detail but you could consider steel with an inside and outside ED coating for rust-proofing? Not sure where to get it done but I know All City (and others) claim it's the shiz and coat their frames inside and out. Might limit paint options, though.
    NS Bikes also so this ED coating. I've got two of these as polo bikes and they get beaten badly. Still no rusting.

The LBS mechanic is building a Trek SOHO as a belt drive SS commuter with discs. Possible work checking out.
    Run a crabon fork on an alu frame and it could be a good option.
    Quote Originally Posted by spirito View Post
    Jaffologist™
    Quote Originally Posted by munga View Post
    ribble is a backdoor dealer
    "Hey apple"

NJS Certified
    Had a look at the rockers, they look pretty good too. For both rockers and sliders the disc/axle moves with the mount, so no readjustment issues there.

On my pompetamine i can swap the rear freewheel from 16t to 18t without swapping the chain but it still requires taking the wheel out, taking the freewheel off and re-adjustment of the disk caliper anyway, so its not hasslefree at all. I thought of getting one of those double white industries freewheels, but that would still require re-aligning the caliper, so don't feel like it's worth it. It would work quite well with sliders (apart from maybe fender clearance issues), but maybe not with the rockers?

Rockers seem like a very good option. Good review here: Rockers

Note the comments on heel clearance and recommended s-bend chainstays.

Quote Originally Posted by BrakeFree View Post
    Using the paragon slider dropouts which are easier to set up with discs from what the other builders have been telling me
    Found the info I was talking about re the rockers,

When using calipers like the Avid BB the cable housing points directly at the chainstays making a nasty little bend in the cable, you can see from this image

Can be worked around but is a good idea to keep it in mind

NJS Certified
    @BrakeFree: That photo requires logging in.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast