Search:
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EOI: Perth -> Melbourne at the end of the year.

EOI: Perth -> Melbourne at the end of the year.

Hey guys,

It came up briefly in gene's "moving back to Perth" thread a few weeks ago, but I'd really like to give it a go. I'm hoping to get some time off work/uni in the middle of the year to ride Adelaide -> Melbourne as a prologue, but I'd like to gauge the level of interest in such a ride, and also to start thinking about what will be required.

No film crews, no documentaries, I just want to ride the shit out of the Nullarbor!
    Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    it's pretty much the anti-royal flush. simple, low-key, actually about riding.

Re: EOI: Perth -> Melbourne at the end of the year.

You may have some logistical problems. Think of the Nullabor Plain as Melbourne to Sydney . . . . without water, food or accomodation.

Days of this:

Not saying it can't be done but be prepared.

http://www.firstclasstravelgoods.com...p/Nullarbr.htm
    'Sharking' is the lamest shit I ever heard of!

NJS Certified

I wouldn't do the entire trip but if your going from perth to melbourne I'd be interested in joining you to Norsman(start of the nullabor). It's a long way away so I'm not sure.

Once you pass Northam you start doing huge distances with nothing inbetween, how would you deal with the water supply?

. . . . and the total distance is approx 3500kms. It'll take you at least three weeks.
    'Sharking' is the lamest shit I ever heard of!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelworks
    No film crews, no documentaries, I just want to ride the shit out of the Nullarbor!
    PM user Lats. A friend of his did it a while back. IIRC He rode at night so that he could see the road trains coming and get out of the way. Plus it's cooler.

I have a couple of people who may be interested in accompanying in a car, which would solve a few concerns. I also found this:
    http://www.holidayoz.com.au/features...rbor-WA-SA.htm

I'm sure it will come in handy, I'll have to do a bit more research and find out how current the information is.

Hey mate, I'm riding from Perth to Brisbane starting May. I will be doing the trip on a dedicated touring bike. What bike do you intend to ride on?

The ride is definitely doable and there are enough service stations along the way (roughly every 150km) to survive, but you will have to camp in between stops along some of the legs. i.e. between Norseman and Balladonia which is 192km. And if you don't like junk (truckie) food, you may have to post your own food to each stop along the way.

Depending on what time of the year you want to do it, you will need roughly 10-15 litres of water on you, so this will probably be the biggest problem if done on a track bike.

If going from Melb -> Perth during winter, the prevailing winds will be against you, but of course, don't take that as a guarantee. Check out the Bureau of Meteorology website for more details.

[img width=380 height=301]http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/wind/images/wrwin_9.gif[/img] This shows the wind roses for June.

Best time to ride it would probably be Spring/Autumn, Summer would really test your mental and physical abilities, and would just suck..

Anyway, hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by angry View Post
    ..never let the weather dictate what I do with my life...
    Proud Supporter of Two Minute Noodles

I'm interested. I think the guys are right, logistically it would be tricky, but, depending on when you were thinking of doing it, i would definately give it some consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    this comment has elevated you to a 'level 6 warrior' ranking in my opinion
    i'd like to Fuck you Mckenny.

prawza, thanks for the info, that helps a lot! I will most likely be riding my commuter/track bike, and to be honest I'd much prefer to do the ride with a support vehicle.

Sime and I did Melbourne -> Portsea and back over Summer, which we worked out was around 180-190km, so as far as I can see, it's just a matter of training to be able to do that same ride, day after day, in hotter, drier conditions. I know it's a big challenge, but at the same time, I have no reason to NOT attempt the ride.

i've driven the nullabor, and been stranded in a small town on the nullabor for three days waiting for parts, and it's a very boring place. at least 2 weeks of a very boring place. a one way flight to perth will cost almost as much as a return flight to somewhere in asia., and having been reading the cyclingtips blog, that seems much more attractive to me. i will say that gypsy and i were spending $50 to $60 on food per day, plus accomodation, and i imagine things are more expensive at some of those isolated service stations.