Search:
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: The Wheel Building Thread

Out of fucking control
    Interesting quote from here, https://cyclingtips.com/2017/02/move...r-wheel-works/

If you really want to extend the life of your wheel though use silver spokes. You don’t use black spokes. Black spokes typically go through an oxidization process, which etches them and essentially allows for more corrosion to come in and ultimately it weakens them. I don’t think they hold tension quite as well and they certainly don’t last as long. They are more likely to break than a silver spoke.

[citation needed]

Any adherent oxide layer finish provides corrosion protection. Alu = forms natural oxide layer that's corrosion resistant. Ano alu = thicker layer that can be dyed pretty colours. 'stainless' steel = natural chromium oxide layer that's corrosion resistant. black oxide treated SS = magnetite forming or selenium copper deposition layer that's corrosion/abrasion resistant.

Show me some fatigue tests on black vs silver spokes.

Okay FOA mavens. I need your help. I'm building these up at the moment. All the input measurements have been checked against the physical rim and hub and are correct.

I order the spokes and rounded up (290mm Front and Non-Drive Side Rear, 288mm Drive Side Rear). They've arrived and are too long. So I have pretty low tension (19/20 on the Park Tool meter), still have truing to do, and there is about 1-2mm of spoke protruding out the end of the nipples.

Should I round down instead (288mm Front and Non-Drive Side Rear, 286mm Drive Side Rear) or do you think I'll need to go shorter than that?

Skateboarding, Cyclocross, Beards, Post Rock and Coffee.

"Pride is an abomination. One must forego the self to obtain total spiritual creaminess, and avoid the chewy chunks of degradation."
    - Ace Ventura

Out of fucking control
    I would have rounded down. In fact I just went and checked what I did for the Wolverine in my PYR thread, and yep, rounded down for three measurements and up for one, to get to 286 and 288's.

My question.

Rebuilding the dyno hub front wheel for the Wolverine. Use the same hub holes and wear marks from previous spokes, or rotate around one hole on the hub? As there's no name on the centre of the hub, lining it up for the money shot down the valve hole isn't an issue.

Pic of hub showing wear marks.

^ I'd rotate. Nothing like a fresh hole...wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    I hate it when pinzo makes me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorday View Post
    Keep tightening until the carbon cracks then back it off about 1/4 turn.

always repeat the same lacing pattern and spoke location if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    QFT.

You could also build with brass washers on the spoke heads if you feel the new spokes are sitting sloppy when put into the hub.
    @thedomesticdomestique // @faraci.cc

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    Is that because the hole would be slightly deformed from the last lacing?
    I hate it when pinzo makes me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorday View Post
    Keep tightening until the carbon cracks then back it off about 1/4 turn.

Quote Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
    Is that because the hole would be slightly deformed from the last lacing?
    When Spirito had to fix my rear wheel recently he mentioned something to this effect, and the way the hub has been stressed by the previous build and riding would make it a bit of a grey area if you just laced it any old way*. That and he's ocd in the best way and didn't want to put any marks in the anodizing on my hub.

*I'm probably misquoting as I was probably in there after a ride, tired and eating all his biscuits for nourishment
    Last edited by Dave.; 13-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    The only thing she's ever upped the tempo on is getting that pie closer to her mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by supermanlegs View Post
    5 days in Tassie should do me good - but if I see a Garmin on a penny farthing next Saturday at Evandale I might just throw a baguette through the front wheel.

Yeah, it's already had the work hardening / deformation done for that lacing pattern, no sense doing more elsewhere.