Search:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelsets

NJS Certified

Wheelsets

Hi,

I have been into road cycling and unicycling (1 fixed wheel) for ages and have decided to take the plunge into the fixed world.

For my first bike i dont really want to break the bank too much although i want something that isnt gonna fail on me the first time i have to stop suddenly.

As far as wheelsets go what should i be looking for? How much am i gonna be looking at paying?
    These both look alright (and pretty well priced), but like a said - i really dont know too much at this stage:
    http://flybikeshop.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=432
    http://flybikeshop.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=433

What else would you suggest?

Also are there any particulary fixie-friendly LBS's in melbourne?

Cheers,
    Max

Re: Wheelsets

Do you want to:

1) Build up a bike
    2) Convert an old frame
    3) Buy complete

If you don't want to break the bank, buying complete is usually the cheapest option if you don't have too many spare parts lying around.

Those wheels are basic formula hubs. Pretty good stuff. Velocity track wheelsets used to use the hubs and the the wheels generally go for AUS$400. Although for that price I know of a better option.

Abbortsford cycles in Richmond is a good place to start.

Des
    No. I do not ride for fashion and I do not care if your bicycle is prettier than mine.

NJS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by whatthekoon
    Do you want to:

1) Build up a bike
    2) Convert an old frame
    3) Buy complete
    I'm thinking i will convert an old frame. Buying complete takes most of the fun out of it - i want something that's unique.

Thanks for the info - those wheels are looking like a pretty good option right now for lack of alternatives.

Cheers,
    Max

With the formula wheels, make sure that the axles are long enough for your frame. Standard formula hubs will only fit 120mm frames. Some shops replace the axle to accomodate a longer spacing. The wedpage you pointed to states that they will provide various spacers to change the spacing but doesn't actually say anything about the axle. Best to check before you buy.

Cheers
    Des
    No. I do not ride for fashion and I do not care if your bicycle is prettier than mine.

CraigC

That website doesn't ship outside of the US.

+1 Des suggestion: Abbotsford is a good place to start.

NJS Certified

US freight will gouge you >$300 for a wheelset. More reasonable if you bring in hubs, rims and spokes. UK freight is fair for wheelsets.
    Donga

ndf

Mr. 'matosis often has wheelsets going very reasonably - send him an email (check his site for infos).

mj

Try Fly Bike Shop on ebay rather than on their web page.

I bought a wheelset from them and had it shipped here a few months ago, and that was even after US Postal went all funny on shipping large packages outside the US.

and how much was postage?

mj

Quote Originally Posted by spud
    and how much was postage?
    About USD$55. The wheels came to about AUD$240 delivered.

I just had a look and it would seem that Fly Bike Shop is no longer selling on ebay...

...and other sellers seem not to be quoting OS shipping.

Maybe US Postal did knacker the whole system after all?