Search:
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beardos come to MTB

Beardos come to MTB

TheWeeklyCycle

Definitely can't walk into your LBS and ask for a "mountain bike tube" anymore. Schurter wins WC opener on 650B tyres. MTB World Cup Cross Country #1 & Downhill #1 - Pietermaritzburg 2012: Elite Men Cross Country Results | Cyclingnews.com

https://www.twitter.com/TheWeeklyCyc...37066607611904
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    The furries probably think us bike people are a bunch of freaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lokione View Post
    Whatever! Next month I'm gonna ride a uni cycle with a paddle tyre accross Bass Straight with Afgan midget siamese twin strippers on my shoulders to raise awearness for migrant exploitation. Amature...
    Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    That's sig worthy, some one jump on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Slightly confused as to what a town bike was (is it fixed, where can I find one, how much does it cost, how long must I wait for shipping?) I googled "town bike".

Well I feel silly now

Best of both worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by avymtal View Post

I've stopped trying to explain to n00b crabonbros why I ride a custom steel frame. I just tell them that their bike is lighter than mine so it's better. Saves time.
    http://instagram.com/ciclispirito

NJS Certified
    There has been alot of talk in mtb circles, regarding 650b being the next big thing. Rockshox and Fox both have suspension forks on the way and there will be more tyres to choose from shortly.
    My take is, the mtb industry needs a new thing to market.
    29er, oversized steerer tubes, headsets, press fit BB's etc...

For me at 5'7" 29ers just don't make sense. 650b on the other hand is quite plausible. Especially as off-road tyres for this size are becoming more common. If I was to build up a SS it would be a 650b.

29ers are great for those riders over 6ft as they can finally get a bike this is well proportioned.

For folks my height it seems like the negatives seem to outweigh the the positives: bigger diameter wheels creating more torque under (disc) braking and cornering - which in turn requires wheels being built more heavily; longer chainstay and fork lowers, again more flexy and unresponsive. So you can roll over obstacles easier and maintain more speed. But its slower to accelerate /decelerate and harder to corner. Seems like 29ers are ideal for the road and firetrail riding, but not tight technical singletrack.

Good on Schurter. Bike manufacturers will be rubbing their hands together with glee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    My take is, the mtb industry needs a new thing to market.
    For once I'm not cynical about the bike industry's motives here ... and you can thank Kirk Pacenti as the driving force for getting 650b on mtb's (and a little bit at Velocity too). Actually Gordy, just buy the t-shirt !!! BikeLugs.com
    Quote Originally Posted by avymtal View Post

I've stopped trying to explain to n00b crabonbros why I ride a custom steel frame. I just tell them that their bike is lighter than mine so it's better. Saves time.
    http://instagram.com/ciclispirito

Quote Originally Posted by DICE View Post
    For me at 5'7" 29ers just don't make sense. 650b on the other hand is quite plausible. Especially as off-road tyres for this size are becoming more common. If I was to build up a SS it would be a 650b.

29ers are great for those riders over 6ft as they can finally get a bike this is well proportioned.

For folks my height it seems like the negatives seem to outweigh the the positives: bigger diameter wheels creating more torque under (disc) braking and cornering - which in turn requires wheels being built more heavily; longer chainstay and fork lowers, again more flexy and unresponsive. So you can roll over obstacles easier and maintain more speed. But its slower to accelerate /decelerate and harder to corner. Seems like 29ers are ideal for the road and firetrail riding, but not tight technical singletrack.

Good on Schurter. Bike manufacturers will be rubbing their hands together with glee.
    I am 5'7" and ride a SS hardtail 29er & disagree with pretty much all of the above, with the exception of the longer chainstays argument - I do miss not being able to manual as easy as on a 26" bike. I have found tight corners, rocky single track & even DH tracks (albeit at a slower speed) fine on my 29er. Tight Uphill switchbacks are a pain but were so on my old 26er as well. The worst thing i found with my 29er was getting the front end low enough after swapping from rigid to suspension forks, my front wheel would wash out a bit, but a nice steep stem fixed that.

NJS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by spirito View Post
    For once I'm not cynical about the bike industry's motives here ... and you can thank Kirk Pacenti as the driving force for getting 650b on mtb's (and a little bit at Velocity too).
    I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding Pacenti and to a smaller extent Velocity, it's now the major players who are jumping on the bandwagon. Still it could be useful for building tourers and rando's, if there are more suppliers out in the market.
    Dice, I am with rcoh here. I have owned 4 29ers (currently ss rigid and dually) and am only 5'7". I like how I can sit down low between the wheels on my small Anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by DICE View Post

Emily Batty would disagree with you. I've read recent interviews with her describing how she prefers the 29er for simpler courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetal View Post
    In other words, don't waste a nice single malt on someone who likes extra ice in their scotch and coke.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    Lance using drugs does not have an impact on the amount of wheelies I do when going to the shops.
    Dirty Deeds

Quote Originally Posted by nikcee View Post
    Emily Batty would disagree with you. I've read recent interviews with her describing how she prefers the 29er for simpler courses.
    Nikcee, i did say "Seems like 29ers are ideal for the road and firetrail riding, but not tight technical singletrack.". So she actually she does agree with me.

Here's some more fuel for the fire - nothing too polemical: Pinkbike's Burning Question - Will the 29er Replace the 26-inch Downhill and All-Mountain Bike? - Pinkbike.com

But hey, this thread is talking about 650bs init?

Lets quit fighting and split the difference...

EDIT: Who knew you could make a Moots so ugly
    Last edited by DICE; 19-03-2012 at 09:32 PM.