Search:
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could a pro win on steel?

Could a pro win on steel?

Simple question but what would happen if a pro was given a steel bike with regular alloy rims and they rode it for this years tdf including the time trials, what would happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by eavyMetalCHyclist View Post
    I thought it was called touring and you did it on a shitbox Shogun from 1992

Excluding timetrials, quite possibly. Including TT, not a hope in hell.

NJS Certified
    I always though about this.

When talking about the BT frames, Martin Barras ,Cycling Australia's Senior Track Cycling Coach said .

"There is no doubt the final result comes down to the performances of each individual cyclist but in events where the result can be decided by a thousandth of a second our team goes into every race confident they are riding the very best bike which gives them a psychological edge over their rivals,"
    Lots of research would go into these High end carbon frames on the tour and a lot of these benefits would not be seen in steel. Weight, stiffness, frame flex, aerodynamics etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DICE View Post
    Excluding timetrials, quite possibly.
    I'd say carbon would win up hill climbs, Unless Horatio meant the steel bike weighed the same as the competitors bikes.

inb4 steel is real..

Out of fucking control The JAMS's Avatar
    They wouldn't win. They'd still beat any fat lawyer on a sub-legal weight crabön superbike
    oh. i was thinking like Smorgys only 100 times bigger.
    dildos that actually look like wangs are kinda expensive
    You're all hopped up on goofballs
    I'm sure there are forums dedicated to the world's shittest youtube vids. Fortunately, this is not one of them.
    that's kinda like sleeping with your best friend's wife, then asking him to wipe your dick afterwards
    you revived a 4 month old thread to say you love ball sacks?
    So how do I machine a sidewall? Do I use a hammer and a chisel, or do I pour acid all over my rims?
    Self delusion and garlic bread.
    Giving people grief is all I have left. Why would you take that away?
    I tried to make champagne with a Soda Stream once. Ended up painting the ceiling with goon and blinding 3 of my friends.
    The hate's so chunky you could carve it...
    I heard he burns children in his forge and puts the soul of a child into each frame
    Son, you gotta feed the horse before you leave the club
    This should feel like my gooch is being suspended on the feathers of archangels...
    apart from the above, i'm pretty much a piece of shit.
    I was warned about all you assholes

it would change the world!

also steel frames and alloy wheel prices would shit thru the roof!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kreyziest View Post
    never a fan of aerospoke....

Quote Originally Posted by aeroBLOKE View Post
    I'd say carbon would win up hill climbs, Unless Horatio meant the steel bike weighed the same as the competitors bikes.
    6.8kg. You could make a steel bike with a modern group and carbon fork under that weight. Easy.

Out of fucking control The JAMS's Avatar
    but would it have lateral stiffness, vertical compliance and a beefy bottom bracket?
    oh. i was thinking like Smorgys only 100 times bigger.
    dildos that actually look like wangs are kinda expensive
    You're all hopped up on goofballs
    I'm sure there are forums dedicated to the world's shittest youtube vids. Fortunately, this is not one of them.
    that's kinda like sleeping with your best friend's wife, then asking him to wipe your dick afterwards
    you revived a 4 month old thread to say you love ball sacks?
    So how do I machine a sidewall? Do I use a hammer and a chisel, or do I pour acid all over my rims?
    Self delusion and garlic bread.
    Giving people grief is all I have left. Why would you take that away?
    I tried to make champagne with a Soda Stream once. Ended up painting the ceiling with goon and blinding 3 of my friends.
    The hate's so chunky you could carve it...
    I heard he burns children in his forge and puts the soul of a child into each frame
    Son, you gotta feed the horse before you leave the club
    This should feel like my gooch is being suspended on the feathers of archangels...
    apart from the above, i'm pretty much a piece of shit.
    I was warned about all you assholes

I think kanye's serotta was 7.4kg.
    It could be done with carbon wheels and fork.
    As far as aero dynamics,
    In the final or intermediate sprints it would have an impact but only minor.
    In the peloton no the draphting with that many guys would almost pull you along.
    Sprints are so close that if your bike was 1/5 sec slower it could mean not winning.

Would I like to see some one try he'll yes.

NJS Certified
    All of those things are bullshit anyway. Kelly was blindingly fast on a Vitus when every one of his competitors were on stiffer bikes.

The most important thing a pro does is to win on whatever their sponsor makes.
    Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

sugarkane
    Quote Originally Posted by dayne View Post
    I think kanye's serotta was 7.4kg.
    It could be done with carbon wheels and fork.
    As far as aero dynamics,
    In the final or intermediate sprints it would have an impact but only minor.
    In the peloton no the draphting with that many guys would almost pull you along.
    Sprints are so close that if your bike was 1/5 sec slower it could mean not winning.

Would I like to see some one try he'll yes.
    try 6.9 with alloy wheels...

i've learned a lot since then... the serotta could have been 6.6 with out the carbon wheels.. easy!
    Last edited by sugarkane; 03-04-2012 at 10:16 PM.