Search:
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic road race thread

Olympic road race thread

Thought I'd start one.

Pretty funny side story about Michael Bourgain the track sprinter who will be competing lol:

Bourgain, who does not compete on the road, has placed his hopes in winning a medal in the keirin but to participate he must, according to the rules, also be qualified for another cycling event.

Because France has filled up its allocation of places in the other track events, Bourgain had to take part in another event.

The only spot available was in the road race and he will now race alongside established road professionals Sylvain Chavanel, Arnaud Demare and Tony Gallopin, according to French Cycling Federation (FFC) officials.
    It means Bourgain, with his imposing track sprinter's physique which is used to intense efforts of racing on several laps of a 250-metre track, will stick out like a sore thumb when he lines up for the Olympic road race on July 28.

NJS Certified
    ie he is fat

will get dropped
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
    this comment has elevated you to a 'level 6 warrior' ranking in my opinion
    i'd like to Fuck you Mckenny.

Fat legs. Should be good to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalCyclist View Post
    will get dropped
    We need beaker to start a tote... I reckon he's paying 25:1 to finish with the bunch...
    Quote Originally Posted by gink_04 View Post
    Steve - I've edited the first part so it makes a little bit more sence... not much though

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZero View Post
    We need beaker to start a tote... I reckon he's paying 25:1 to finish with the bunch...
    Is this story serious? Why must he qualify for another event just to ride the Keirin? I'm not complaining though, anything that brings the lols in the all-too-serious Olympics is fine by me.

No gambling access at work. Will check tonight to see if there are any Olympic markets up. (picked up $160 on the Tour, with Wiggins for the win and Nibali for the podium. Look forward to blowing it all on the Olympics)
    Quote Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
    What are the Team Red Beard rules?

1. Grow and maintain ginger beard.
    2. If unable to grow ginger beard, see rule 1.
    Ease Down the Road

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Is this story serious? Why must he qualify for another event just to ride the Keirin? I'm not complaining though, anything that brings the lols in the all-too-serious Olympics is fine by me.
    Would be part of the effort to keep total competitor numbers under control.
    Same as the road ITT guys (Cadel & Rogers) have to do the RR too (or maybe they could do the keirin or something?)

Out of fucking control heavymetal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Why must he qualify for another event just to ride the Keirin?
    Rules n shit.

NJS Certified
    From memory, he didn't qualify for the keirin but the rules state that they can substitute a rider into the track squad from the road squad making him required to ride in the road race.

Cycling at the 2012 Summer Olympics

Along lines of Avvocato comment:

Although in theory an NOC is entitled to qualify up to one place per track event for a total of eighteen quota places, a limit of 14 riders (8 men, 6 women ) is placed on each NOC, with the possibility of drafting in two further riders from other cycling events. For certain countries, therefore, the number of quota places won will significantly exceed the numbers of riders qualified.

Similarly, the cyclists who compete in the road time trial must also compete in the road race event; thus an NOC may win 2 quota places, but be allowed to take only one rider.
    Last edited by swuzzlebubble; 24-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.