Search:
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame Identification required.

Holeshot

Frame Identification required.

Like the title says, I'm looking for an ID on my runabout. I've had this one for a couple years now, which was a hard rubish find - more like several, and am still non the wiser. Can't tell you much about this bike other than it is light, so I'd say definately cro-mo tubing. Initially I'd picked this up when I first got into retro biking and upon seeing the supposed cinelli badge on the head tube, thought I was in for the big bucks! She's no cinelli, but a good ride nontheless!

Frame is 56/56cm - perfect geometry for myself.
    Campagnolo 1010 dropouts.
    It's a lugged frame, possibly late 70's to mid 80's.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Holeshot; 02-10-2012 at 01:08 AM.

What does the BB say?

Even if it was an awesome/special frame, which I don't think it is, restoring frames seems like a good idea at the time, but you are inevitably left with a frame that cost much more than it's worth and the only way to keep it in mint restored condition is to leave it unbuilt and packed up in a box, which doesn't make for a very good daily runabout.

For the amount of money you'll have to spend to restore it, you'd be better off trawling ebay for something NOS or very good condition.

Out of fucking control reezy 2.0's Avatar
    The yellow one is a GT.

Out of fucking control
    Quote Originally Posted by SanEsteban View Post
    What does the BB say?

Even if it was an awesome/special frame, which I don't think it is, restoring frames seems like a good idea at the time, but you are inevitably left with a frame that cost much more than it's worth and the only way to keep it in mint restored condition is to leave it unbuilt and packed up in a box, which doesn't make for a very good daily runabout.

For the amount of money you'll have to spend to restore it, you'd be better off trawling ebay for something NOS or very good condition.
    I agree it probably isn't worth restoring but if you like it, it fits and you have some tools/skill or want to learn it would worth a 'refurbishment'.

i.e. new: cables, cluster & chain, bar tape, brake pads if needed. Headset service, hub service, BB service (or replace with sealed unit).

But check the if anything is completely stuffed 1st as depending what needs doing (i.e. new wheels/hubs) the costs can add up.
    Last edited by MikeD; 30-09-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Holeshot
    It might not be a cinelli but that doesn't mean it's not worth restoring. Maybe if I knew what in fact it was, I might be able to evalute properly, the pros and cons of restoring. It's far from a pos and it ain't no repco, that's fo sho. I know the sticker isn't genuine but it is reynold's tubing and it does have campy dropouts, so it is far from a boat anchor, even bitd. Can't make out what the BB stamp says, but it is soemthing like: OHUUO.

Yep, that is a GT. Very observant indeed! Shame I'm looking for an ID on the one in front of it.

I think it might in fact be a pommie bike. It is very similar to a both 70's Gazelles and Raleighs, in geometry and lugg work. Anyone have more of a definitive guess?

The bike rides fine, I've already been over it a few times. So it doesn't need a re-firb.

Without panto, stampings on the bb/ steerer, headtube badge or fancy lugs with distinctive cut-outs, the chances of finding out what a frame like this is range from slim to Fk all.
    Ride, enjoy, repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight barber
    I may still be a stupid hipster in the morning, but you are going to wake u to a sweaty bovine/porcine hybrid and an immense sense of deep regret. .

What Bender said.

Gazelle isn't English and Raleigh's have quite a specific serial number format.

Maybe its a OHUUO?

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    It might not be a cinelli but that doesn't mean it's not worth restoring.
    What makes a frame worth restoring?

Out of fucking control
    Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    The bike rides fine, I've already been over it a few times. So it doesn't need a re-firb.
    ok, it's your bike.

I was just going by the rusty cables, tired looking chain and lack of bar tape in the pics.

Holeshot
    Quote Originally Posted by SanEsteban View Post
    What makes a frame worth restoring?

There are so many reasons to restore a frame beyond that of monetary value. Peservation of historical value/nationalism, sentimental worth, appreciation for good craftsmanship or just wanting something pretty to look at. Shit, I don't know, use your imagination.

Here's a couple of frames that look very similar in regards to luggs, fork crowns and geometry. Does anyone have an experience with these bikes or knowledge of them that might help identify this beast?
    Last edited by Holeshot; 02-10-2012 at 01:09 AM.