Search:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giro Synthe

Good review Luke!

How does it hold up with a cap underneath? (Which might negate the whole purpose of the helmet though)

NJS Certified
    I was in need of a new one now that I have un-retired from bikes - the only one I had was my old Bell Volt that had a bit of sentimental appeal but was getting past its use-by date. (My Catlike was pinched along with my bike before Christmas.)

Key wants for me, in order: a large size that fits my MASSIVE head but avoids mushroom head syndrome if possible; good ventilation; good solid adjustment mechanism because I tend to fiddle with it a lot; able to fit sunglasses securely when not wearing them; look good in white colourway; stylish hopefully cos much of the current helmet batch look a bit stupid??; able to fit a cap under; 'aerodynamics' lololol; nice and light I guess.

Large size fit issues: this instantly disqualfied the Kask Mojito for me, just too small even in a large. Synthe on the other hand went on without a hitch and had a good amount of adjustment available in the mechanism. Avoids mushroom syndrome also.
    Ventilation: excellent as Luke has already said.
    Adjustment mechanism: really high quality feel to this, solid click, one-knob adjustment. Top stuff.
    Sunglasses issues: takes them really well - this was the one of the things that used to irritate me about the Catlike, just never quite felt spot-on.
    Does it look good in white: yes it does, well white and silver and black at least.
    Is it stylish: I don't like heaps of small vents, Catlike (weirdly) excepted, so the broad black stripes disguising the vents is a good visual trick I think. Really don't want anything too aero-looking so it fits the bill. All this stuff is subjective so YMMV of course.
    Can it fit a cap: the one disappointment for me is that it can't given my head size. I wonder if this is because it's the MIPS version with the extra layer of material inside - in which case I'll take the safety benefits as a good trade-off.
    Aero: lol who cares.
    Weight: is nice and light but we're hardly talking Stackhats here so IDGAF really.

I have taken advantage of the trade-in scheme to get the MIPS model which cut the price by 25% - so that is over $100 off - and is running until the end of the month I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch View Post
    Sunglasses issues: takes them really well - this was the one of the things that used to irritate me about the Catlike, just never quite felt spot-on.
    Been riding Catlikes for a few years now and you'd think that with the billion air vents that there would have to be a combination that suits sunnies... I've still never been able to find one though
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    n8 will be doing it on a big black weapon that looks like it is designed to sodomize elderly overweight weekend warriors.
    Die, v.: To stop sinning suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    Been riding Catlikes for a few years now and you'd think that with the billion air vents that there would have to be a combination that suits sunnies... I've still never been able to find one though
    i've had moderate success with older M-Frames and Catlikes. but i'm outta the style loop, so my opinion is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottridesabike
    *you're, who does your spell checking when your on graphic desing jobz

NJS Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    That's exactly what I thought!!

Interesting. My POC sunglasses, Oakley Jaw Bones and a couple of other pairs are no problem in my Catlike Mixino - and were no problem in the Synthe prior to its untimely demise. The Giant Rivet on the other hand....

Glad you're liking the Synthe though. I miss mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
    Lukemarkof starring in the new Budget Direct Ad...
    Quote Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
    ^ Le Capitaine Risqué
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    ^^ Watch out. That guy's a menace.

Tumblr | Flickr | Instagram