Search:
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 3.5 weeks in tassie!! Your top tips??

Hey gang. So the Tassie planning is still happening. Overland booked for departure on the 11th Feb. Pumphouse booked... thats it at this point. Vee (my wife) is really organising much of this trip as I haven't had a lot of spare time at the moment. But she has asked for some feedback on the below:

"Hi lads!
    Liam's wife Vee here! We are after your tips and advice based on the following rough itinerary for the Tasmanian East Coast. Let me know if you think the towns I have listed are worth staying at or if there are others you would recommend instead, whether the time allocation seems reasonable and any must dos along the way…Thanks in advance!

Eagle hawk Neck - 1 night? 2 nights?
    Tessellated Pavement, Tasman Arch, Devil’s Kitchen, Blowhole, Remarkable Cave, Waterfall Bay

Coles Bay - 2 nights?
    Maria Island, Swansea, Freycinet National Park, Wine Glass Bay (day hike?)

Binalong Bay/Bicheno/Scamander? - 1/2 nights?
    Penguins in Bicheno?

Bay of Fires walk… can we actually do this walk and camp self-guided? Hard to find info! 2 nights?

Derby - 2 nights
    Recommendations for Vee while Liam rides? Are there beaches/wineries within an hour or so drive?

Launceston (or Devonport? Plan to catch the Spirit back to mainland the next day...) - 1 night
    Cataract Gorge, breweries?

Will also be visiting Hobart, Port Arthur + doing Three Capes Track. Other Q's:
    Brewery/winery must dos
    Foodie must dos
    Anything else?"

Hi Vee,

Firstly, well done for putting up with all of Liam's idiosyncrasies - I don't know how you do it! But don't tell him I said that.

Nothing much happens at Scamander, my folks have a shack there. Bicheno or St Helens are a bit bigger and have shops and stuff. I haven't spent much time at Binalong, but there's some sweet tents you can stay in: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/16112406. Four Mile Creek is a nice spot - just a quiet town with a beach.

Just out of Scamander is Eureka Farm: http://www.eurekafarm.net/cubecart4....op/info_6.html it's just a small cafe/shop that you might expect to find in the middle of nowhere.

Ironhouse Point north of Bicheno has a brewery, restaurant and accommodation.

No beaches near Derby, really. Welborough Hotel is cute little pub not too far away which sells exclusively Tasmanian beer and wine.

Little Rivers Brewing is in Scottsdale: https://www.littlerivers.com.au/ourvenue/

Launceston - the Gorge is magic. Just walk around and take it all in. And when you cross Kings Bridge take a moment to remember I used to jump off it when I was young. Ahhh, they were the days.

Josef Chromy is a vineyard which does a nice lunch and wine, and where I got married! Only 15 minutes out of Launceston.

Evandale Market about 30 mins out of Launceston can be a bit of fun. Evandale itself has some old skool coffee shops and bakeries worth a visit.

The Harvest Market in Launceston has some amazing produce. Saturday mornings I think.

The Leaning Church Vineyard near Lilydale is a nice spot.

There's some nice vineyards down the Tamar Valley, but I'm not much of a wine drinker, sorry.

I'll probably think of some more stuff.
    Last edited by P!N20; 02-10-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetal View Post
    I hate it when pinzo makes me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorday View Post
    Keep tightening until the carbon cracks then back it off about 1/4 turn.

Stillwater in Launceston is a nice restaurant - WestCoastPete recommended!

Saint John is a dedicated craft beer venue and probably the only pub worth visiting in Launceston.

Velo Wines probably 15-20 mins out of Launceston is meant to be good, haven't been there though.

I grew up in Launceston, but I don't get back there all that much these days, so there's probably heaps of stuff I don't know about.

i reckon you could see everything in Eaglehawk Neck in a day, so one night would be fine. are you staying at The Tin Lantern? i forget which capes the 3 capes track takes you to, but Cape Raoul and/or Shipsterns Bluff are both worth seeing whilst you're down there. you'll see Cape Hauy i'm pretty sure, that's a crackin part of tassie.

you can do a loop hike to wineglass bay, over the isthmus and then back to the carpark in about 4 hours from memory. there's a campground at the very end of the beach on the other side of the isthmus too. think manatra camped there? i would've loved to do that, but carrying packs with my knee is not fun. if you wanna get a good view of wineglass bay without the crowds, scramble up Mt Amos. it's only a km, but it's steep as fuck and you'll literally be sliding on your butt to get down. but it's so very worth it to get a higher and significantly less busy vantage point. you're adventurous, get amongst it.

maria island is great, think i stayed 2 nights there, can't remember exactly. lots of wombats. wombats are the actual best.

cataract gorge is very nice. don't expect to find many places open late on a sunday night. if you wanted to camp out of launceston, Liffey Falls is pretty beautiful, but it's south of Launceston, so might not be in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
    I don't need my Honda Jazz, I don't need my Italian road bike, I don't need my life size cut out of Rolly, but I enjoy all of these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    I ride past 2 crossfit gyms on my way to Yarra Trails.
    I make sure to pop a wheelie past the roller door of their box so they know how much fun I'm having.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    or as we call them 'The smooth faces'
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalCyclist View Post
    on a spectrum of 0 sensations to 10, the personification of that spectrum is rolly to haussler.

ps - jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
    I don't need my Honda Jazz, I don't need my Italian road bike, I don't need my life size cut out of Rolly, but I enjoy all of these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwearmoccos View Post
    I ride past 2 crossfit gyms on my way to Yarra Trails.
    I make sure to pop a wheelie past the roller door of their box so they know how much fun I'm having.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    or as we call them 'The smooth faces'
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalCyclist View Post
    on a spectrum of 0 sensations to 10, the personification of that spectrum is rolly to haussler.

Out of fucking control
    Pynegana cheese factory is a 45min drive from Derby and is pretty good, they also have fresh wasabi.

Weldborough pub is nice..I was there two weeks ago, nice enough and close enough that if Adam is doing blue tier worth meeting for lunch there.

Can skip the shuttle from weldborough to the top of atlas and ride the 8kms or drop him up there so lunch can be relaxed and not rushed by the shuttle wanting to leave
    Last edited by MikeD; 02-10-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Out of fucking control
    Haven't been there since 2002, so dredged the memory;

Cragie Knowe Vineyard, https://craigieknowe.com.au/ - good reds.

Second Pyengana Cheese Factory.

Enjoyed the river cruise out of Strahan.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff_tewierik View Post
    Enjoyed the river cruise out of Strahan.
    Wrong side, mate.

Thanks legends – Vee is digesting all of your suggestions. I have heard about the pub near Derby and it's range of good beers.

I am going to try and line the Tin Lantern up, I have been touching base with NickJ but it is too far out for him to confirm at the moment.

I also found this site which could come in handy.

https://tasbeertrail.com/maps/

As far as the previously mentioned Gordon Dam. Is this really worth it (more so for the drive). We aren't going to be anywhere near it at this point.

This also looks really cool for pics:
    https://think-tasmania.com/mt-paris-dam/